This is the recruitment and labor trafficking experience of Jin. In this case study, a young woman is exploited in the restaurant industry. Use this case study activity to practice naming possible vulnerabilities, red flags, and education opportunities. Increasing awareness of these areas helps providers better identify and serve labor trafficking—including by empowering clients with information to protect themselves against exploitation.
What were vulnerabilities present in this story?
• Lack of support system
• Possible perception of burdensomeness
• Lack of community; feeling othered
• Potential need for purpose or feelings of accomplishment
What were red flags of labor trafficking in this story?
• No job training or experience required
• Promise of high wage
• Manipulating need for safety (housing, income stability)
• Large promises that become empty promises
• Working endless hours multiple days a week
• Threats of deportation
Feel free to use this video in your own trainings or distribute to your network. As always, contact us with your questions, comments, or ideas by emailing Framework.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Topic(s): Industry Specific, Learning Basics, Service Delivery
Resource Type: Video
Date: July 21, 2021